Monday, August 18, 2008

FILM REVIEW: Alexandre Aja’s “Mirrors”


A decent summer flick, however, the ending put me in the dark. I mean, can anyone tell me what it was about? I honestly thought I had a good understanding of the movie until the end. I don’t want to spoil the ending or anything, so I won’t push the topic any further.

Oh well, moving on.

The ending was a hit-and-miss with me; point established … the acting was pretty believable. For a moment during the movie, I thought Kiefer Sutherland’s character Ben Carson was a reincarnation of Amityville’s demon possessed dad. Luckily it wasn’t or this movie would have taken a turn for the worse.

Praise to Cameron Boyce’s performance. This kid was chills-down-my-spine disturbing with the potential to give you nightmares. Those big dark eyes and spattered freckles … his cuteness lured you in by making you feel safe and then WHAM, fear me.

As for Paula Patton, I am still up in the air about her. In the beginning of the movie, her acting was weak. She did way better in “Déjà Vu” and “Idle Wild.” Nevertheless, toward the end of the movie once the jumping and the screaming began, I saw more life and credibility in her acting. Maybe she is falling into the Halle Berry category of being “too pretty” to convince the audience that she is afraid or in pain. Let’s cross our fingers and hope she isn’t.

Rating: 2 ½ Screams out of 5
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: